The Warren Street Reader

Talkin' baseball and music and anything-else-on-my-mind blues...

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Life is a Carnival, Believe it or Not...


Or at least so sang The Band. And I have always felt that life is a much better carnival with a soundtrack. Maybe that is why I love music so much, because the songs we come to love and listen to have, in usually unknown but profound ways, shaped who we are. So where am I going with all this bullshit? Today I came across a fun little game to play for all those whose iPods and iTunes are an essential part of their day. Courtesy of the peeps over at The Assimilated Negro, I present a little game you can play to draw up the soundtrack to your life (and I usually hate this kind of crap).


IF YOUR LIFE WERE A MOVIE, WHAT WOULD THE SOUNDTRACK BE?

Here's how it works:
1. Open your library (iTunes, Winamp, Media Player, iPod, etc)
2. Put it on shuffle
3. Press play
4. For every question below, type the song that's playing
5. When you go to a new question, press the next button
6. Don't lie and try to pretend you're cool...

Here is the list (followed by my answers).

Opening Credits: Safari (James Holden Remix) - Andre Kraml
Waking Up: Come Back to You - Tony D.
First Day at School: Bomb the Place - Dealer’s Choice
Falling In Love: '75 AKA Stay Wth You - Lemon Jelly
Fight Song: Insight - Scott Lark
Breaking Up: Wolves of Miami - Mylo
Prom: I’d Rather Dance With You - Kings of Convenience
Life: Hold On, London - Chemical Brothers
Mental Breakdown: 9-M-E-T-H-O-D-M-A-N - Method Man
Driving: Can’t Knock the Hustle (live) - Jay Z
Flashback: Look After Me - Hot Chip
Wedding: Just for a little peek - Afrilounge & Chardronnet
Birth of Child: Miss Teardrop - Felix Laband
Final Battle: The Talk - Erlend Oye
Death Scene: Heiden - Michael Mayer
Funeral Song: Yeah (Pretentious Mix) - LCD Soundsystem
End Credit: California Dreamin’ (SFaction Mix) - Mamas and Papas

While this is a totally random exercise, some of my responses jump out immediately. Waking Up is hysterical. The Tony D. song sounds like an AM Radio song from the 70's - perfect to wake up to! First Day of School is ironic in the name, but not very fitting musically. Falling in Love is great, too (the chorus is, "I want to stay with you for the rest of my life.) I love the Prom song too - perfect. I don't know about the Driving song or the Wedding song, but I got a kick out of my funeral song - nothing like mourning me to 11:05 of funk! And yes, I could have a mental breakdown to Method Man.

(As a postscript, I found it amusing that Ladytron's "Cease2xist" was only several songs beyond Michael Mayer's "Heiden." That would have been fitting...)

Try it out for yourselves and post me your answers...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home