The Warren Street Reader

Talkin' baseball and music and anything-else-on-my-mind blues...

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Big 10 Smackdown today: RIP Bo


"“I don'’t care who it is - there's no rivalry that compares with this. This is the greatest college football rivalry there is."
- Former Michigan coach Bo Schembechler in an interview just four days before he collapsed and died of heart failure.


I don't get into the craziness of college football, but I will be watching today's game between Michigan and Ohio State for several reasons. And I will be rooting for Michigan for several reasons.


1) I love the underdog. Even though the Wolverines are not much of an underdog, it is always good to see the top dog tumbled. Sorry coach Tressel.
2) Tom Brady (pictured above). He won the Super Bowl for me (3 times!), so the least I can do is cheer on his alma mater.
3) Bo Schembechler. When I was a kid, his name was uttered with supreme reverence. I will never forget hearing Keith Jackson's booming voice saying his name. It was one of the comforts of weekend football. A win would do his memory some justice.
4) Helmets. Blue with sexy yellow stripes or plain silver? Easy one: Go Wolverines!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home